Saturday, September 14, 2019

Few Points of Setting up EdgeRuter X

Just want to share a few things I learnt while I was setting up my EdgeRouter X.

PVID is similar to UNTAGGED with other vendors, similar VID is as TAGGED.

Hence, with the example below, the router is configured as

eth1: VLAN 10
eth2: VLAN 20
eth3: VLAN 100
eth4: Truck port for VLAN10, VLAN20 and VLAN100



After setting up DHCP for each network, it needs to setup for DNS forwarding.


All fields in DHCP nees to be set.  I made the mistake not filling in the Router and DHCP field.  The router field is for the Gateway, and unlike other router which cannot be implied.  Missing it would result Gateway detail omitted in connected clients and hence no internet access.


System wide DNS isn't set up in the System pane.



But rather using Config Tree


Personally, I prefer to use my choice of DNS provider than my Internet Provider's servers for stability and "privacy".  For example, with my choice of DNS provider, NX is returned for NX for URL like below rather than Internet Provider's error page.

nslookup www.jkjkjlkjlkjlkjl.com
*** UnKnown can't find www.jkjkjlkjlkjlkjl.com: Non-existent domain


Last but not least, enable hardware offloading for NAT and IPSec to get the best out of the router.



No comments: