Friday, November 25, 2011

Intel CPU Whines ...

I have a Clevo N540R laptop and it has been doing well with one exception it makes high pitch noise occasionally.  I have checked the cooling fan and it seems okay.  After checking all the usually suspects, I ran out of ideas.  Then I hit Google and search for the term "laptop high pitch noise".  Guess what, I am not alone.  This seems to be quite a common problem, and surprisingly it is related to the Intel processor.  It seems it is something to do with the processor goes to C1 idle state.

see: http://superuser.com/questions/121883/any-way-to-disable-specific-cpu-idle-cx-states

Initially I thought, it can't be, can it?  I followed the instructions posted on one of the forum as below:




1) Typing in the command line "regedit", you go to the registry key:


HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SYSTEM \ CurrentControlSet \ Control \ Power \ PowerSettings \ 54533251-82be-4824-96c1-47b60b740d00 \ 5d76a2ca-e8c0-402f-a133-2158492d58ad


2) To enable one or another hidden parameter, it is necessary to find and edit the value DWORD, changing its value SettingValue from 1 to 0.

3) Then, through the control panel – power – in the settings mode select power management processor.
There will be an option disabling idle processor and high pitched noise immediately disappears.

Guess you can guess the result.  My problem went too!

(original solution from : http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1526684)


No comments: