Sunday, December 20, 2009

Virtualbox 3.1.2

VirtualBox is great utility, however, it isn't perfect. One of the annoying problems is its networking. If you are using desktop, it isn't much a problem. However, if you are using laptop, VirtualBox's NAT implementation seems to fail if you switch between networking connectors, which is very common in laptop. For instance, I may move from my WiFi connection to cable connection. This would result lost connection to my Guest System.

With the new version, I can at least regain the connection by change the connection from NAT -> Bridge and back to NAT again as I can dynamically change my connectiont type in the new version. It isn't perfect, but it gets the job done.

I have tried various virtualization solution, and VirtualBox is still my favorite due to its wide range of supported formats, and its speed. While we are talking about speed, the latest version finally fixed the Hardware Virtualization support on my VIA chipset motherboard. Previously, it would caused BSOD, but now, it works perfectly! Hurray!

No comments: