Friday, April 30, 2021

snap+wine+recycle bin

I have been using IrfanView for many years.  On Windows, it is a great lightweight viewer for viewing and organizing images.  I am delighted when I see it is available as a snap application.

It is made possible to run on Linux through WINE, and it works great.  The only issue or more precisely a question is where do these deleted files end up.  As it is kind of a WINE question, results I found online were referring how WINE maps recycle bin on Windows to its Linux equivalent.  However, when I deleted a file in IrfanView, I could not see it showing up in the trash can in Gnome.  Up until recently I thought this may be because I am using snap+wine+IrfanView rather than simple wine+IrfanView.  The recycle bin feature isn't working as it would normally do.  You can tell I am wrong otherwise, you won't see this post.

The recycle bin is indeed mapped to its Linux equivalent.  However, it isn't the one of in the OS, but instead the isolated version within snap, e.g.

 I guess you are reaching here because you have a similar question.  I hope this answers your question.

No comments: