Sunday, August 30, 2015

JDK and NetBeans

Normal I would attempt to avoid install/add software manually and use aptitude to get the job done instead.

Although there is an option to install Java and JDK with aptitude, the version is a bit old, i.e. version 7 instead 8.  I have no option but do it manually.

Here are the steps which I tool to install JDK8 on my machine.

1) Download your JDK8 from Oracle.  Since I am using Debian, I picked and used the gzip version.
2) Decompress the gzip file, e.g.

tar zxvf jdk-8u60-linux-i586.tar.gz

3) Move the uncompressed package to your desired location.  In my case, I put it where other OpenJDK are located, e.g.

sudo   mv   jdk1.8.0u60   /usr/lib/jvm


4) Create a subversion mutual symbolic link to the /usr/lib/jvm/jdk1.8.0u60, e.g.

ln -s /usr/lib/jvm/jdk1.8.0u60   /usr/lib/jvm/oracle-jdk8

5) Use update-alternative to add java, javaws, javadoc, javac to the system.

update-alternatives   --install   "/usr/bin/java"  "java" "/usr/lib/jvm/oracle-jdk8/bin/java"   1

Repeat the above for javac, javadoc and javaws

6) You may need to use update-alternatives --config to update the default java executable path, e.g.

update-alternatives   --config   java

7) Test you setup by running

java   -version

(see: http://askubuntu.com/questions/56104/how-can-i-install-sun-oracles-proprietary-java-jdk-6-7-8-or-jre)

8) If you have NetBeans setup before the installation, you need to update its java_homepath value by modifying its netbeans.conf file.

I kept the configuration personalized to my account, hence I used the localized version which is at:

~/.netbeans//etc/netbeans.conf

The contents in my netbeans.conf is

netbeans_jdkhome=/usr/lib/jvm/oracle-jdk8

note: You may not see the etc directory.  If you can't see it, you need to create the etc directory and .netbeans.conf file yourself.

(further information can be found at: Netbeans - ArchWiki)

Update 2016-01-28:  Alternatively, Java can be installed with APT by following the instructions at:

https://launchpad.net/~webupd8team/+archive/ubuntu/java

and

https://launchpad.net/~webupd8team/+archive/ubuntu/java

No comments: