Saturday, October 15, 2011

Ubuntu 11.10 ... and its problems

Ubuntu 11.10 seems to be the worst I have tried so far.  Since my graphics card isn't new enough to support the new graphics features, I can tell the visual part of the system.  However, it broke my sound.  Now my system is "silent"

After upgrade, the system failed to detect my


00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 02)

I am a system user, and I just want a system work.  Guess with Ubuntu ... it seems it is still too much to ask!

Update:

At last I found this website.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=205449

By following the instructions, I at least managed to get sound back (sort of).

For some unknown reason, snd-intel8x0 was backlisted. Once I comment out the snd-intel8x0 in the /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-alsa.conf , I got my sound back (well on speaker out jack anyway. My tower is a business machine with internal speaker. Still have no sound with the internal speaker. Nevertheless, it is a progress)

# blacklist snd-intel8x0

No comments: