Sunday, January 3, 2010

Lock-up and ACPI

I have recently reformatted my old, but perfectly working IBM R40e laptop from Windows XP to Ubuntu. Everything works better than before but it has this annoying lock-up every now and then. One suggestion is to disable the power management (ACPI) by putting the extra setting to the

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash acpi=force pci=acpi"
in the /etc/default/grub file (I am using grub2). Show far, it seems doing the trick. If you are in similar situation, you may want to give this trick a try.

1 comment:

Garfield said...

With this trick, my system manages to keep running on wifi using a usb wifi dongle without any lock-ups as it used to do for three days. I guess I can safely say this trick works. However, since my system is a laptop, it would be nicer if I can keep the power management setting though.