Sunday, May 18, 2008

Smart Bookmarks

Smart bookmarks in Firefox 3 may be too smart. I may be a great idea or useful for some, but personally, I do not like the idea of having my action tracked. I would like to have an option to easily switch it off. Right now, I need to go to about:config to turn it off ... only if I can ... Firefox seems to refuse to have it switched off.


Anyway, if you are like me who does not like the Smart Bookmarks feature, here is what I did to my system to disable it. You can try to right click folders under the Smart Bookmarks except recent tags, and delete them. This seems sort of disable the Smart Bookmarks feature.


In addition, while I was trying to figure out a way to disable Smart Bookmarks, I found Firefox actually backing up bookmarks in the background. Again, I thought this is too sneaky. When I delete a bookmark, I want it to be really deleted. Options! Options! Options is the keyword! It is privacy!

No comments: