Saturday, February 9, 2008

Router

I have just got a new router for my ADSL connection. Since, I am running P2P applications, it makes finding a router difficult. P2P application tends to open and close large number of connections simultaneously, and this puts a lot of strain onto a router. Many routers would lock up shortly after used. I guess there are people who are in similar position as me, so I would like to share my experience with my new router here.



I have three routers, the first one is a Safecom SWART2-54125. With its default firmware, its performance would gradually degrade and finally lockup. However, if you don't mind to void the warranty, and replace it with an open source firmware from routertech, it is very stable. It just runs.



The second one is a Safecom SART2-4115. It is similar to the first one, except it does not have WiFi. Also, it has less memory inside the router. Again it is a solid worker if it is using the Routertech firmware instead of the official firmware from Safecom. However, the setting interface would become a bit sluggish after a long period of use due to the reduced memory inside the router.



The third one is this latest addition, the Zyxel 660HW-T1. This router seems based on the same hardware as Safecom routers mentioned (based on TI ARD platform). I have only had it for a day. So far, it has been stable. I will post an update later

2 comments:

Joe said...

Thanks for this post been looking for replacement firmware for my safecom router for ages. Then your page just came up on google today and I discovered the router tech firmware. Haven't installed it yet but im hoping it solves the problem with my router locking up with heavy overnight bit torrent use.

Thanks again

Garfield said...

Zyxel 660HW-T1 has given me problems lately. Nothing has changed, but it starts to randomly restart.

Also, Safecom SART2-4115 seems to have problem to handle the pressure caused by the speed upgrade of my ADSL line due to its "less generous" internal.

I got a new router, and it is the TD-W8920G( 108Mbps Super G & eXtended Range Wireless ADSL2+ Modem Router), and it works perfectly out of the box.